Saturday, April 21, 2012

From Senator Mark Begich



April 20, 2012
HighGas Prices
Dear Alaskan:
Like you, I shudder every time I fill up my gas tank. When I was traveling around Alaska last week I saw gas prices at $4.40 in Kodiak, $4.57 in Kenai and $4.26 in Anchorage. I know prices are much higher in rural Alaska. It's a double whammy to your pocketbook when you add high home heating fuel prices.




20120420-GasPrices-2
As Alaskans, it's particularly frustrating when we see oil being developed in our own state and yet we pay some of the highest gas prices in the nation. Even though we are producing more oil and gas in the United States, we still see prices climbing. That's why I took another step last week to rein in Wall Street oil speculators whose actions add an estimated 56 cents to the price of every gallon of gas. I joined18 other senators to urge the federal court to combat excessive speculation..
President Obama this week announced his own plan to crack down on speculation. I am pushing him to go even further to help the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commissiontrack speculators and protect consumers and businesses. Our economic recovery and your family's budget can't take higher gas prices. This is an issue I will continue to stay focused on as summer approaches and your travel plans get underway.

Sincerely,
Digital Signature
Senator Mark Begich

No comments:

Post a Comment